This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure for more information.
Take all the fun, festive flavors of a caramel apple and reimagine them in a classic candy lollipop, and what do you get? The perfect cure for a sugar craving. Caramel apple lollipops are the impressive indulgences that appeal to kids as well as adults. Not only do they provide the nostalgic pleasure of a sweet sucker, but they also do it in a more inventive way, covered with delicious caramel on top. Best of all, these creative candies only look complicated; they’re incredibly easy to make.
Ready to delight your kids with a snack that’s out of the ordinary? Want a go-to dessert idea that doubles as a great homemade gift? Here’s what you’ll want to know to make caramel apple lollipops at home.
The Two Ingredients You Need
Making caramel apple lollipops starts with two simple ingredients: apple-flavored hard candies and a bag of caramels. For the candies, look for green apple flavor, if possible, to replicate the best-made tangy caramel apple flavors.
Equipment That’s Useful
The main task in making homemade caramel apple lollipops is melting. Melt the hard candies to create a pourable mixture to form into suckers, and you’ll melt caramel for a smooth substance in which to dip them. For this reason, gather a solid, heavy-bottomed saucepan, a heat-proof spatula, and a heat-proof spoon. Lollipop sticks are also a must. You can find these items anywhere that sells candy-making tools.
- A baking sheet layered with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet
- Cellophane candy bags (if you want to wrap the lollipops individually or as gifts)
- Any additional toppings (chopped chocolate, nuts, other candies, or dried fruit)
The Easy Way to Make Homemade Caramel Apple Lollipops
After gathering all your ingredients and equipment, making lollipops is simple. Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Melt the hard candies. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the apple hard candies over low heat, stirring occasionally and keeping a close eye on the mixture to ensure it doesn’t caramelize.
- Pour and form the mixture. Once the candies are pourable, use the heat-proof spatula and spoon to scoop small amounts of the mixture onto the parchment or silicone sheet. Spread each one into a small, 2-inch circle.
- Apply lollipop sticks. Press a lollipop stick into each candy circle.
- Let everything cool. Let the suckers harden completely before moving onto the caramel steps.
- Melt the caramels. Next, melt caramels in the saucepan over low heat, stirring gently to prevent scorching. Dip each hardened lollipop in the melted caramel and return it to the baking sheet.
- Decorate, if desired. For extra flair, dip the caramel-covered lollipops in additional decorations, such as melted chocolate, tiny pieces of candies, or whatever you like. Let them set completely on the tray before enjoying.
Homemade caramel apple lollipops are a fun way to make snack time special, as well as a good go-to for creating thoughtful gifts for friends and family.
Once they’re fully formed and cooled, wrap them in cellophane bags that you tie with a ribbon or other decor — avoid wax paper, which sticks to caramel. Whether you’re having them at home or giving them away, one thing’s for sure: Everyone will love these sweet and tangy delights.
Author bio: Samantha Kowalczyk is Director of Product Development and Key Accounts for Mrs Prindables. She leads a team responsible for the creation of new product concepts, such as Caramel Apple flavors, gifts, and confections. Kowalczyk joined Mrs Prindables in 2013 after completing her education in marketing. Her dedication to Mrs Prindables enabled her to progress to her current role.